University Medical Center Göttingen
The University Medical Center Göttingen (UMG) is one of the largest university hospitals in Germany. Faculty of Medicine and University Hospital form a unity in which excellent research, teaching, and patient care take place under one roof. Priority research areas and a wide spectrum of medical disciplines characterize the faculty. The internationally recognised priority research areas Neuroscience, Cardiovascular Research and Oncology have a strong foundation in basic science and are oriented on the medical need of our patients.
The Faculty of Medicine in Göttingen is one of the biggest medical schools in Germany. Human Medicine is taught in a modern modular, interdisciplinary curriculum. A total of 3.700 students are enrolled, 2.900 in Human Medicine and approximately 600 students in Dentistry and 200 students in Molecular Medicine. A new MSc program “Cardiovascular Research” will start in 2015.
The University Medical Center Göttingen is deeply integrated in the vibrant university and non-university research environment that together forms the Göttingen Campus.
Collaborate Research Centers
Speaker at UMG:
- CRC 889: Cellular Mechanisms of Sensory Processing
Participating institutions: UMG, GAUG, MPI-EM, MPI-DS, MPI-BPC, DPZ, ENI
- CRC 1002: Modulatory Units in Heart Failure
Participating institutions: UMG, GAUG, DPZ, DZNE, MPI-BPC, MPI-DS
Participants at UMG:
- CRC 860: Integrative Structural Biology of Dynamic Macromolecular Assemblies
Participating institutions:GAUG, UMG, MPI-BPC
- CRC 937: Collective behavior of soft and biological matter
Participating institutions:GAUG, MPIDS, UMG, DZNE
- CRC TR 130: B cells: Immunity and Autoimmunity
Participating institutions:UMG, FAU Erlangen/Nürnberg, UM Charité Berlin, DRFZ Berlin, MPI für Infektionsbiologie Berlin, ALU Freiburg
- Translational Dementia Research in Psychiatry (Prof. Anja Schneider) -
- Bioanalytic (Prof. Henning Urlaub) -
- Structural Biology in Dementia (Prof. Markus Zweckstetter) -
- Dopaminergic Stem Cell Therapy (Prof. Ahmed Mansouri) -
The University Medical Center Göttingen is affiliated with the following research centers:
- Research Center for Nanoscale Microscopy and Molecular Physiology of the Brain (CNMPB)
- European Neuroscience Institute Göttingen (ENI-G)
- German Centre for Cardiovascular Research (DZHK), Göttingen
- German Center for Neurodegenerative Diseases (DZNE) Göttingen
- Institute for Biostructural Imaging of Neurodegeneration (BIN)
- Göttingen Center for Molecular Biosciences (GZMB)
- Bernstein Center for Computational Neuroscience (BCCN) Göttingen
- Center for Systems Neuroscience (ZNV)
Graduate Study Programs
The University Medical Center Göttingen participates in the following programs:
- Doctoral program Georg August University School of Science of the Georg August University Göttingen (GAUSS)
- GSC 226 – Göttingen Graduate School for Neurosciences, Biophysics, and Molecular Biosciences (GGNB)
- Göttingen School of Translational Medicine (from 2015 on)
Work Life Resources
- Child care facility (155 childs, 1-10 years, run by UMG-Kindertagesstätte and ASC Kinderbewegungshaus)
- Musical events and art expositions (“Kultur am Klinikum”)
- Sport activities
Multiple sclerosis: how do immune cells enter the cerebrospinal fluid and what is their function there?
Scientists at the University Medical Center Göttingen find out that immune cells move back and forth between the...
The impact of epigenetics on brain development
Scientists of CNMPB, MPIbpc and DZNE in Göttingen describe a molecular mechanism that controls global epigenetic programs...
New Collaborative Research Center at UMG – funding for international Collaborative Research Center at University renewed
Göttingen Campus congratulates the scientists involved in CRC 1190 "Compartmental gates and contact sites in cells" and...
„Indefatigable Hearing“ – a molecular clearance mechanism enables synapses to continuously release transmitter
Auditory neuroscientists discover bottleneck of information flow in the ear and pave the way for gene therapy of deafness....
Key Research Areas
The key research areas at the University Medical Center Göttingen are:
- Cardiovascular Research
University Medical Center Göttingen
University of Göttingen
+49 551 39-0